< PREVIOUS

Hoosic River Reach 10

NEXT >
Last Updated: 10/2017
STATISTICS

Skill Level:            Class 1 
Estimated Time:    2 to 2.5 hours.
Distance:               6.4 miles
USGS Map: Hoosick Falls, NY and Eagle Bridge, NY
Hoosick Falls Treatment Plant to Buskirk Covered Bridge
 
Description 
        ​
#10 Access:
From the Rock Cut, take NY Rt. 22 north through the Village center about 5 miles to Treatment Plant Road on the left. From the intersection of NY Rts. 22 and 67 in North Hoosick, Treatment Plant Road is on the right, about 1.2 miles south on NY Rt. 22. Take Treatment Plant Road down the steep hill, across the ungated but frequently used railroad tracks, past an electric substation then, bearing right, to a dam and power plant. The access road is on the right side of the power plant. It is signed.


This stretch of river is delightfully undeveloped – although it has long been used for agriculture and railroading. A 3-span Boston and Maine trestle at 0.8 miles downstream may be piled with debris at its bases. Use the center span. At about 1.4 miles, the Walloomsac River, a major tributary draining the Green Mountains east of Bennington, VT, enters on the right. Some distance further, as the view on the left bank opens up and the river begins to bend left, prepare to traverse a Class II rapid at a railroad trestle that once carried the Delaware and Hudson Line. Many large rocks are piled around the piers.
After passing beneath the NY Rt. 67 bridge (the Eagle Bridge), the Hoosic begins to flatten and slow, as water backs up behind the Johnsonville dam. The red Buskirk Covered Bridge signals two access areas, a NYS DEC site (#11) on the south side of the bridge, and a Reliant Power site (#12) just downstream of a barn complex below the bridge.

Buskirk Covered Bridge - 18.3
Position: 42-49.60 N 73-19.31 W
Boat Launch:
Access site will be just before the Buskirk Covered Bridge, on the left. It is signed.
Nearest Address: 
206 Buskirk-West Hoosick Road, Eagle Bridge, NY 12057
Put-In Directions ( 18.1 miles, 14 minutes)
From the center of Hoosick Falls.
  1. Take Route 22 North following turn John Street and quickly John Street turns left and becomes Classic Street.
  2. At mile 2.1, turn left onto Route 22 North/Route 67 West. There is a Stewarts Shop on the corner.
  3. At mile 4.6, turn left onto Route 67 West.  Benson's Family Restaurant on the corner.
  4. At mile 7.7, turn right onto Buskirk-W Hoosick Road.  White Buskirk Seventh Day Adventists Church on the corner.
  5. At mile 8.1, arrive at the covered bridge.  Access is just before the Buskirk Covered Bridge, on the left. It is signed.
Buskirk Covered Bridge
         The Buskirk Covered Bridge is the only inter-county covered bridge in New York State, joining Rensselaer and Washington Counties.  It is one of four covered bridges still standing in Washington County.  It is owned and maintained by both Rensselaer and Washington Counties and carries traffic across the Hoosic River.
      Built by Peter Osterhauth, Charles Newman, James Roberts and Charles Ingalls in 1857. This158-foot-long, single span structure incorporates the Howe truss design patented in 1840, and improved in 1850, by William Howe of Springfield, Massachusetts. It is one of only three Howe truss bridges in New York State.   It was built in about 3½ months.
            One would think that the misfortunes of previous bridges at this crossing point would have prompted the builders to design for the worst conditions, but in 1880, a flood caused extensive damage. In the flood of 1927, which swept away many covered bridges in the area,there was two feet of water over the floor of the Buskirk Covered Bridge. In 1959, ice pushing against the bridge caused it to bow more than afoot in the middle. Ice again damaged the bridge in 1976. After a damaging flood in May that same year the bridge was raised two more feet.
              For more detailed information visit the New York Covered Bridges website:
Buskirk Covered Bridge
Hoosick Falls Treatment Plant - 24.7
Position: 42-54.83 N 73-21.43 W
Boat Launch:
Use the access road is on the right side of the power plant. It is signed.
Nearest Address: 
64 Sewer Plant Rd, Hoosick Falls, NY 12090
Put-In Directions ( 5.7 miles, 12 minutes)
From the stop light intersection of Route 7 and Route 22 in NY State.  A Stewart Shop is on the corner.
  1. Head northeast on Route 22 North/Route 7 East toward Pine Valley Road.
  2. At mile 0.3, turn left following Route 22 North toward Hoosic Falls.
  3. Follow Route 22 North into the center of Hoosic Falls.
  4. At mile 4.3, in the center, turn right on John Street and quickly John Street turns left and becomes Classic Street.
  5. At mile 4.4, bear left with Route 22 North onto High Street.
  6. At mile 5.3, turn left onto Sewer Plant Road.
  7. Take Sewer Plant Road down the steep hill, across the ungated but frequently used railroad tracks, past an electric substation then, bearing right, to a dam and power plant. The access road is on the right side of the power plant. It is signed.